Johannesburg – Confusion lingers about the current status of John Block and Christo Scholtz after the two did not report in prison to serve their 15-year prison sentence, despite the fact that their appeal was dismissed earlier this week by the Supreme Court.
The SCA dismissed their appeal against a 15-year sentence on Tuesday for corruption and money laundering.
The former ANC Northern Cape chairman and CEO of Trifecta Holdings Christo Scholtz were sentenced to 15 years in prison each after being found guilty on charges of corruption and money laundering.
The costs relate to bribes that were offered to unlawfully influence the allocation of leases to Trifecta for government buildings.
The two then had to report to a correctional services facility on Thursday to start their sentence, but this did not succeed, resulting in reports that the two were now considered refugees.
This was refused by the Hawks Northern Cape, who said it was a "misinterpretation" that she was fighting the elite unit.
"He is not a fugitive … he is not wanted by the Hawks because he is [and Scholtz] appears before the court on Monday for a bail, "said Hawk's spokesman Nomthandazo Mnisi.
This after the SCA had given the duo permission to appeal to the Constitutional Court.
This was confirmed by Phaladi Shuping spokesperson of the National Public Prosecutor (NPA), who added that according to their knowledge the two reportedly had reported correctional provisions after the SCA's ruling.
He was not able to explain why the two remained free and only said that there would be a meeting on Friday to clarify this.
He added that the two had indicated that they intended to apply for a bail at the Supreme Court and that this request would be dealt with on Monday.