JOHANNESBURG – The provincial government of Gauteng has received 200 new claims for financial compensation from families of patients with Life Esidimeni who survived the failed transfer to unsuitable NGOs, said MPL Jack Bloom, Sunday.
This was revealed by Thomas Masebe, the Prime Minister's spokesman, at a meeting last week of the Gauteng Legislature Monitoring Committee at the Prime Minister and Legislature's office, he said.
According to Masebe, most of these claims have been verified as covered by the arbitration decision of Justice Dikgang Moseneke. Masebe said that there had been "a few instances" of several family members who disputed a claim, Bloom said.
Moseneke ruled that R1 million is paid to each claimant for constitutional damage, R180,000 for emotional trauma and R20,000 funeral expenses for those who were killed.
This meant that R 1.2 million would be paid to family members of those who died and R1 180 000 to relatives of patients who survived. Payouts to 200 claimants would cost about R236 million.
"Masebe said that one of the ways this would be financed would be to surpass all provincial government services to pay for it, on a proportional basis. Mothers would also come from the adjustment budget in November of this year.
"Up to now, R159 million has been paid to claimants, which means that the total amount that will be paid including other expenses will exceed R400 million. It is a steep but necessary cost to provide redress to those who have suffered, although will affect service delivery in the province because money is diverted from other projects, "Bloom said.
* Receive IOL & # 39; s top stories via WhatsApp by sending your name to 0745573535.
African news agency (ANA)