Drunk drivers are the biggest offenders of Joburg – JMPD



Drunk driving is the biggest offense in Johannesburg.

This was announced on Monday when the Metro Metro Police Department (JMPD) of Johannesburg published its crime statistics for the period January to August 2018.

The statistics do not include crimes typically treated by the South African police (SAPS).

Mayor of Johannesburg, Herman Mashaba, said: "The arrests that we have been able to perform since last year #BuyaMthetho are pretty impressive".

The Buya Mthetho operation of the city of Joburg, which started last year, has led to an increase in arrests for various violations.

David Tembe, head of the JMPD, said that most of the arrests made since the operation was initiated were driving under the influence (traffic violations) and illegal connections (city ordinances).

Since January, the JMPD arrested 7 283 people for driving under the influence. This was slightly less than the 8 803 arrests of the previous period.

However, there was an increase in the number of arrests for reckless or negligent driving – 1 449, compared to 222 in the previous period.

There is also a general increase in arrests for various crimes, including violence (from 21 to 89), bribery of an officer (from 18 to 33), domestic burglary (from one to 28), car theft (from five to 89), rape ( from 4 to 45) and public violence (from 31 to 189).

However, the two biggest crimes in all regions were drunk driving and reckless or negligent driving.

In spite of this, there was a decrease of 11% in the number of accidents involving vehicles and a decrease in the number of road fatalities by 13%.

Tembe said he was worried about the high number of drunken-going driving cases and announced that a unit had been set up to monitor cases of drunken drivers who had been arrested.

In terms of violations of the law, 24 people were arrested for illegal electricity connections, 135 trucks were seized and five diamond shelters were arrested.

Mashaba said that partnerships with private security companies have contributed to the success of operation Buya Mthetho.

According to Mashaba, 1 600 newly-incorporated employees, who reported for the service on Sunday, were the first of the 4,000 contract workers in the field of security who wanted to insource the city.

"The next phase of insourcing for the remaining employees will be implemented in the next two months," said Mashaba.

The mayor praised private security company Bad Boyz, which operated in the city center.

"They assisted in securing the crime scene and the building where one of the suspects was found after they had shot a JMPD security officer deadly. [last week]"Said Mashaba.

There was an increase in protests for the supply of services from the previous period, which Mashaba attributed to people who "lied for many years".

Tembe said, while there is a decrease in traffic fatalities, "more needs to be done".

Mashaba said the JMPD would release its crime statistics monthly in an effort to force the National Public Prosecutor (NPA) to attend his business.

According to Mashaba, the City had referred more than 60 cases to the NPA, which it still has to investigate.

KEEP UPDATE about the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

– FOLLOW News24 on Twitter


Source link

Leave a Reply