Mantashe appears next week for the investigation into state interference



ANC spokesperson Pule Mabe and the head of the presidency Zizi Kodwa short journalists on the sidelines of the state are catching up a committee of inquiry in Parktown. PHOTO: Getrude Makhafola / ANA

JOHANNESBURG – The ANC, under the leadership of its president Gwede Mantashe, will provide evidence on Tuesday to the state inquiry committee, led by deputy chief judge Raymond Zondo.

Head of the ANC Presidency Zizi Kodwa said that the testimony of his party will be presented in two phases, first by Mantashe and then by President Cyril Ramaphosa at a later stage.

"We got to know the leaders of evidence this morning [Friday]. We are ready for Tuesday, we will not run away from our responsibilities as the ruling party. The second part of our submissions will be led by our president, who has heard all the evidence that is yet to come, "he told reporters on the sidelines of the commission in Parktown, Johannesburg on Friday.

The investigation has heard testimonies from witnesses who captured the fugitive Gupta family and their associates, former President Jacob Zuma and his son Duduzane, in the center of the state's scandal.

The Gupta family earned R6 billion through questionable government contracts and planned to raise the rake-in to R8 billion by laying the foundation for more contracts by trying to capture the national treasury and having direct access to the public wallet.

The ANC accuses it of being complacent and making itself blind, while corruption and crimes have deepened in the state-owned enterprises of the country.

Kodwa admitted that his party was embarrassed by what has been excavated so far as the commission.

"If it is necessary for us to take on and acknowledge some of the responsibilities, we will do so at the end … led by the president [Ramaphosa]. Should a submission be required between the two phases, if there is new evidence … then we will do everything in our power to help this committee. "

He sued the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) for attacking Minister Pravin Gordhan of the public companies outside the commission's location.

The red berets protested by the minister's testimony and demanded that he resign. Gordhan was used as a witness to attack the work of the commission and the ANC, Kodwa said.

"There are vile campaigns led by other organizations … they used his testimony to attack the integrity of this committee, including victimizing and intimidating other witnesses who have yet to come to this committee, we think this is an element from what we call Trumpism [derived from US President Donald Trump’s perceived leadership style ]… Trumpism thrives on fear, hatred, insults and race polarization. We need to unite all South Africans, black and white, to defeat Trumpism, "he said.

The committee will resume on Friday afternoon to hear evidence from the Director General of the National Treasury Dondo Mogajane. His predecessor Lungisa Fuzile has testified for two days this week.

* Read more about the #StateCaptureInquiry here.

* Receive IOL & # 39; s top stories via WhatsApp by sending your name to 0745573535.

African news agency (ANA)


Source link