Home / Nation / Marikana six years later: ANC-led government still fingered for the death of miners

Marikana six years later: ANC-led government still fingered for the death of miners



Six years after the Marikana massacre, the trade unions and opposition leaders still blame the death of miners in the northwest of the city at the door of the ANC-led government.

On 16 August 2012, the police shot and killed the 34 miners during a strike for better wages in the Lonmin mine. In the days before the massacre, however, 10 others were killed, including six miners, two policemen and two Lonmin security officials.

Speaking at the sixth commemoration of Thursday's massacre, near the head where the killings took place, the Association of Miners and Construction Union leader Joseph Mathunjwa insisted that the ANC-led government was guilty.

READ: [19659005] The forgotten widows of Marikana: & # 39; It's like our husbands committed suicide & # 39;

He said that the murders were the result of certain foreign investors having to satisfy by showing visible action to protect their investment & # 39 ;.

"The 34 comrades died because of the poisonous conspiracy between monopoly capital and a fascist state," Mathunjwa said.

"The special forces were deployed from all provinces with a mission to kill, they brought out killing vehicles and thousands of ammunition rounds, determined to kill their fellow brothers, their fellow fathers and their uncles."

Letter to Cyril

He also warned that those who gave the order to open fire on the striking miners would be dragged before the International Criminal Court because the massacre was a crime against humanity.

"No wonder our government recently wanted to retire as a member of the International Criminal Court."

DA leader Mmusi Maimane, who was present at the commemoration, also said that the ANC was to blame for the massacre and that August 16 should be called a feast day in memory of the events.

"How long do we have to wait [for justice] to conclude that the ANC is complicit in the events that took place here," Maimane said.

"When I was here last year, I said that I would write to Jacob Zuma a letter asking him to declare a public holiday on August 16, he never said!"

"Yesterday I wrote another letter to Cyril Ramaphosa and I am still waiting for his answer, I do not expect anything positive."

OPINION: Marikana: It is time for Ramaphosa to continue with responsibility and repairs

UDM leader Bantu Holomisa followed this example.

He said there were no repercussions for those who were involved in the killings under the current government.

"The government has killed people here in Marikana, but no one has been arrested, they have all the information about how these people were killed." What do they want us to do? "said Holomisa.

" Down with murderers, down. "

& # 39; They are cowards & # 39;

One of the wounded miners, Lungisile Maduna, also spoke during the event and remembered that they had withdrawn when they cornered and shot police.

"On that day I was wounded on that second hill there," said Maduna, pointing to the head that became known as Scene Two, where 17 miners were killed, seventeen others were killed near the bead, known as Scene One

"They are cowards of these men, they would never have shot down people who had raised their hands," said Maduna.

"We went down the hill and when we came to a bead just behind where we are now … the police stun grenades shot at us."

"Then they shot at us. The men next to me and others fell right there. "

Maduna said they were then pushed back to Scene Two.

" There I was hit, after being chased by a white helicopter with doors open on both sides. "

" We were shot for nothing, it was all lies what happened there. Let me leave it there because it still bothers me. "

Mathunjwa added that those present did not fight against the government on that fateful day, but against a living wage.


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.