JOHANNESBURG, August 17 (Xinhua) – The Mineral Council of South Africa said Friday that the deaths of mines in 2018 are unacceptably high and promised to ensure that workers return home safely.
This was stated by South Africa's South Africa CEO Roger Baxter when he launched the national day of safety and health in a campaign in Johannesburg on Friday.
In 2018 a total of 58 people were killed at the mine accidents compared to the same period last year, in which 51 passed. Since 2017 there has been an increase in the number of disaster crashes related to seismic activity, fall of land and fire incidents.
"We recognize that much more needs to be done and the Minerals Council and its members recognize our responsibility to do everything we can to achieve our joint zero-damage target. We ask all stakeholders in the industry to share in our commitment to safety and health, "said the CEO.
He stated that there must be cooperation by all stakeholders to ensure the safety and health of all miners.
The event was attended by the Department of Mineral Resources officers, CEOs of mining companies and trade unions.
The government has on several occasions called on the mining companies to exercise safety to ensure there is no death. Trade unions have called on the government to withdraw permits for mines with a high mortality rate.