US open; Jason Kubler defeats Roberto Bautista-Agut



BRISBANE & # 39; S Jason Kubler is financially capable of fulfilling a long-cherished wish to make his family's life a little easier after winning his first Grand Slam singles competition in New York.

In a memorable US Open breakthrough for the former world No. 1 ranked 16-year-old, Kubler had too many weapons for the 19th seed of Spain's Roberto Bautista-Agut in a 6-3 6-3 6-4 verdict.

The 25-year-old has converted Tennis Australia's wildcard entry into a $ 127,000 guaranteed US Open check and his prize money would go up to at least $ 212,000 if he completed his second round-up with US Taylor Fritz on Thursday morning (EST). can win.

Kubler's official earnings in a professional eight-year career that had passed through six knee surgeries were $ 454,000, of which $ 234,000 was fully booked this year for victories, pushing his world ranking 851 places to a projected number 88.

media_cameraJason Kubler turned the 19th seed into straight sets.

"It's crazy to think how far it has been in just under 12 months," said Kubler.

"This is the biggest win in my career."

The right-handed, who rebounds from the sixth of his knee operations in the last 10 months, lives on Mango Hill, in the north of Brisbane, with his mother Lyn, older brother Jonathan and sister Jade, 23.

Lyn raised her children as a single mother when Jason's father died of cancer 17 years ago.

"Jason still lives in Mango Hill with his mother and his brothers and sisters, he has moved out for a while, but he's there when he's in Brisbane," Kubler's manager said. Belinda Colaneri.

"He has been abroad since April and looks forward to taking a break in Queensland a few weeks after the US Open and thinking about which tournaments he is playing with his better ranking. & # 39; & # 39 ;

Tennis: Rafael Nadal ended the career of compatriot David Ferrer with the 36-year-old player who stopped Grand Slam tennis after he had not finished his match against Nadal due to an injury.

Nadal finishes Ferrer's career

A 16-year-old Kubler told The courier mail for his main draw debut at the Australian Open 2010, he appreciated his mother's dedication and work ethic in the care for the elderly and "a lot of other jobs".

"Hopefully I can make a career out of tennis and start providing the family," he said.

Colaneri said that Kubler "always wanted to take care of his mother", who continues to work full-time.

"They are a close family, he has gone from the highest to the lowest level in his tennis and now we hope this is just the beginning," she said.

Kubler did not play a Grand Slam main draw match between the Australian Open in 2010 and 2018 and got an Australian Open wildcard in January when he won two Challenger titles in Australia.

"The most important thing to me is that we had previously had a conversation where Jason could not see the positive aspects of life," said Colaneri.

media_cameraJason Kubler had enough to celebrate.

"He was unsuitable and the parameters of him who was playing tennis again were uncertain, so right now to see the difference is astonishing and he has done it largely himself."

Tennis Australia also handed over Kubler's reciprocal US Open wildcard, some critics thought it had gone to the younger Thanasi Kokkinakis instead.

Kubler, 14 months to 2017 with a microfracture in a knee of the tour, suffered last month with cramp in a loss of three sets in Washington DC.

But he withstood the 32c temperature and high humidity against an opponent who wins career on former US Open champions Marin Cilic and Juan Martin del Potro.

Receive 3 months of free Sport HD + Entertainment on a 12-month subscription and watch the ATP World Tour on FOX SPORTS. Terms and conditions apply. SIGN UP NOW>


Source link

Leave a Reply