mediacongo.net – News – Ebola outbreak progresses in North Kivu



In the DRC, the epidemic of ebola-hemorrhagic fever is getting worse … The epidemic reported on 1 August in the province of North Kivu killed 49 people out of the 90 cases reported, according to the authorities.

The WHO expects more cases, the Congolese Minister of Health is reassuring.

The haemorrhagic fever of the Ebola continues to increase in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo. 2,000 people are followed medically. The latest assessment of the Congolese Ministry of Health mentions 49 deaths from 90 reported cases. 22 deaths are confirmed and 27 others are probably related to the deadly virus.

The outbreak was declared on August 1 in the Beni region in North Kivu. Most of the deaths occurred in the agricultural town of Mangina, a few kilometers west of Beni. "More cases".

The World Health Organization says it does not know if "all transmission chains have been identified".

An incubation period of 21 days

The Congolese Minister for Health is reassuring. Oly Ilunga Kalenga states that this increase in the number of cases is useful.

"What you need to know is that the incubation period is 21 days." Since the beginning and declaration of the epidemic, we have implemented a series of conventional measures, such as surveillance, to investigate all suspected cases, to identify confirmed cases, to establish contacts. to try to vaccinate all health workers, and also vaccinate all contacts and contacts of contacts.As all these measures, including preventive measures, are normally meant to break the transmission chain of the virus.But as long as the incubation period is 21 days, there are a number of people exposed to the virus and still susceptible to the development of the disease, but we still think that this trend is decreasing from day to day, "said Minister Oly Ilunga Kalenga to RFI.

Ebola infections in North Kivu are growing faster than in Ecuador, a province that was also affected by the epidemic between May and July. But this time the authorities face a double challenge: responding to the health crisis, taking into account the security situation in the east of the country.

"It is true that the security situation is a real challenge, we are working closely with the Congolese army and Monusco to ensure that health professionals have the ability to work in good conditions and give people access to care in a safe environment", the Congolese Minister for Health. health.

Last week, the World Health Organization warned about the difficulties that have occurred in the field. A call to, among other things, armed groups to prevent them from interfering in the work of humanists.

Neighboring North Kivu Uganda has evaluated the possible response plan for the epidemic. Health Minister Sarah Opendi led a large delegation in Bundibugyo, a border crossing just a few dozen kilometers from Beni, in the province of North Kivu in the DRC, to assess the plan. his country's response, said Sunday at his department, to assess his country's response plan.




RFI / MCP via mediacongo.net


Source link

Leave a Reply