After giving Usain Bolt a platform to show its value and invested nearly two months of toil, Central Coast lost the risk of quickly losing sight of the world's fastest man and the most famous trialist of football.
Reigning Maltese champions Valletta FC, invests money to plunder after UAE investors have recently been in charge of the club and sworn to finance an accusation to the Champions League, allegedly have offered Bolt a two-year contract.
Bolt, who rejected offers from European clubs before he initially selected the Mariners, is now pondering whether he continues to pursue an A-League performance.
The decision of the 100-meter world record holder will not be based purely on money, but Valletta, who dangles a lucrative no-strings deal for the eighth Olympic gold medalist, can also cover the Mariners when it comes to chances.
Central Coast has insisted at every stage that Bolt's timeless test is a long-term project. January was driven as the likely deadline for a final decision, while Bolt tried to climb to the A-League standard.
If the Mariners decide to make an offer earlier than expected, the club and football federation Australia (FFA) should also think outside the box when it comes to marketing packages and sponsorship by third parties.
The first indication was that Bolt's signature required an additional $ 900,000 requirement from FFA's selection card game fund.
FFA CEO David Gallop has reaffirmed that the Mariners are not allowed to dive into the fund to sign Bolt, creating a major shortage.
Central Coast claims it is business as usual for Bolt, despite the worldwide interest in the superstar, after his support in the Friday trial.
"Usain Bolt will continue his indefinite training period with the Central Coast Mariners until further notice," Chief Mariners Shaun Mielekamp said in a statement on Tuesday.
"The club will not comment on speculations in the media about the future of Usain.
"Full focus for the Mariners remains on our round-one trip to face the Brisbane Roar."
Valletta managing director and CEO Ghasston Slimen told ESPN that his club hoped that Bolt would board on time for a match on 13 December.
Bolt's Australian representative, Tony Rallis, refused to comment on the latest developments or on whether his customer had a deadline.
Mariners coach Mike Mulvey has previously laughed from the prospect of Bolt becoming a distraction, where he repeatedly notes that he can alleviate the pressure on players in the team.
But when the Mariners confirmed Matt Simon's reappointment as a leader for a campaign that starts on Sunday, the uncertain future of Bolt remained a source of great intrigue.
"It's a lot, the ball at the court of the Mariners," Gallop told Macquarie Sports Radio.
"He is clearly improving and it was great that he got a few goals.
"When they come to that (sign) point, we will look at what is feasible for us, but it can not be for the selection slot fund, we do not want to compromise on what it was set up for."