The record maker and goal-maker Cristiano Ronaldo from Portugal has been left out of the Portugal squad for the coming Nations League and friendlies at his own request.
Coach Fernando Santos said on Friday that he had discussed the situation with the outsider Juventus after his summer break from Real Madrid.
"After a conversation with the player, who had just signed with Juventus, I decided, given the adjustment process he needed, that he would not be with us during this window," said Santos.
Ronaldo has won 154 caps for his country, 27 more than the big Luis Figo, while his 85 goals are 38 more than former striker Pauleta.
He scored at least 40 goals per season in the last eight seasons in Madrid, but still has to score for his new club.
Portugal, which was beaten out of the World Cup in the last 16 by Uruguay, organizes World Cup finalists Croatia in a practice match in Faro on Thursday.
They then organize Italy on 10 September for their first match in the new Nations League, a format that will give UEFA hope a new lead to matches that were previously friendly matches.
Only 13 of the 24 Portuguese players selected for the Nations League were at the World Cup in Russia earlier this summer, including Bernardo Silva of Manchester City, Goncalo Guedes and Andre Silva.
Team of Portugal
Target: Rui Patricio (Wolverhampton), Beto (Goztepe), Claudio Ramos (Tondela)
defenders: Cedric Soares (Southampton), Joao Cancelo (Juventus), Luis Neto (Zenit St. Petersburg), Mario Rui (Napoli), Pedro Mendes (Montpellier), Pepe (Besiktas), Raphael Guerreiro (Borussia Dortmund), Ruben Dias (Benfica)
midfielders: Bruno Fernandes (Sporting Lisbon), Gedson Fernandes (Benfica), Pizzi (Benfica), Renato Sanches (Bayern Munich), Ruben Neves (Wolverhampton), Sergio Oliveira (FC Porto), William Carvalho (Real Betis)
forwards: Andre Silva (Sevilla), Bernardo Silva (Manchester City), Bruma (RB Leipzig), Gelson Martins (Atletico Madrid), Goncalo Guedes (Valencia), Rony Lopes (Monaco)