Man lost part of an arm after eating raw fish

It is known that eating maricos or raw fish, or poorly cooked, can mean the spread of serious diseases.

The case that the scientific journal "The New England Journal of Medicine" announced, however, seems to have exceeded the limits.

An article in the publication pointed to the case A 71-year-old South Korean man who lost part of his arm for eating raw fish.

The affected person arrived 12 hours after dinner with a health center purple blisters on your left between 3.5 and 4.5 centimeters, causing the fish to become infected Vibrio vulnificus, a carnivorous bacterium that is resistant to salt, because what survives in the water of the ocean.

The man who also suffered type 2 diabetes and was on hemodialysis due to kidney problems, surgery was urgently needed to isolate the bacteria and gave him antibiotics via the vein.

Despite the treatment, the man's condition did not improve and the blisters were transformed ulcers with necrosis, so the medical team made the decisionGive the patient the left forearm so the infection does not spread all over the body. The operation was performed 25 days after the first consultation.

According to the article, this type of infection is riskier in immunocompromised patients, such as occurs in people with cancer or chronic liver disease.

Source link

Leave a Reply