She thought she dropped it 28 years ago, but it was not like that.
Doctors from Dundee, Scotland, made the strange discovery when the 42-year-old patient heard why had swollen the eye .
Doctors found that a contact lens was submerged in a cyst that had mysteriously formed after during a quarter-century .
When he was 14 years old, the woman had a slap in the eye with a pen or shuttle (with which badminton was played) and assumed that the lens had left after the collision.
The unusual case appears in the medical journal The BMJ
Researchers at the Ninewell hospital underwent a magnetic resonance imaging after the patient's attending doctor had referred her to the Department of Ophthalmology.
patient presented fan sun and ptosis of the left upper eyelid (when the eyelid falls), the doctors explained Sirjhun Patel, Lai-Ling Tan and Helen Murgatroyd.
The images of the resonance revealed a cyst with ovoid shape of about 8 mm in length but there was no evidence that there was anything in it.
When the surgeons removed the lump that had caused the swelling, the cyst broke the lens.
"In another The mother of the patient remembered that her daughter had a record of blunt trauma to the upper left eyelid when she was a girl," he wrote. Patel and colleagues & # 39; s.
"The patient received a touch in the left eye with a steering wheel while playing badminton at the age of 14."
"The patient was wearing a rigid, gas-permeable contact lens that never found ", they said. .
"S and assumed that the contact lens had left the eye and was lost."
In the article, the experts state that the woman, whose identity is not listed, inflammation in the eye experienced after the incident, but that inflammation was successfully treated by her attending physician.
The patient never used rigid contact lenses that were gas permeable after the accident.
"We can conclude that the gas-permeable rigid lens migrated to the left upper eyelid of the patient at the time the trauma occurred and was in situ during the last 28 years," the specialists indicated.
The team added: "The migration from a gas-permeable rigid lens to the eyelid is a rare cause of eyelid inflammation ."
"Spontaneous migration of a hard contact lens on the eyelid is a relatively common occurrence It is known, but we could find only four reported cases of secondary lens migration due to significant trauma."  "The report of this case shows the period of times between the traumatic migration of the gas-permeable rigid lens to the eyelid and the appearance of swelling of the eyelid," they said.