The lobby of the imposing Pullman hotel in Guarulhos is filled with the clouds of the cloudy and cold afternoon of San Pablo. Independiente supporters who can afford to spend their money in the same place where Ariel Holan & # 39; s team will be. They take something, show their flag, eat, chat, check the cell phone several times. They are restless. Anxious. They naturally expect the arrival of the red delegation coming to this side of Brazil to play the classification for the quarterfinals of what it claims to be the eighth Copa Libertadores. But what really stirred them up and why do not stop asking the journalists to send them, is the failure of the Conmebol who never seems to arrive.
That Friday, which will be passed on Saturday, which will be at the beginning of Monday, that they will wait until Red first arrives to make it official, that they will say it at 23, what will be said this Tuesday of the resit with Santos in the morning or, the unusual, that is announced only three hours of the race in Pacaembú. All these versions are those that were heard since minutes after the 0-0 in Avellaneda, which was consecrated on Tuesday 21st for the crossing in one way.
And less than 24 hours before a decisive and risky duel, the uncertainty grows because the Conmebol is silent about the Sanchez case, which was poorly taken into account by Santos in that first phase because it had a penalty date for being broadcast for River during the South American 2015.
Optimism remains between the leaders of Independiente present in the countries of São Paulo, but the delay makes them restless like the fans who follow in the lobby and check the mobile phone and ask each time: "And, is there anything?". Why the delay?
During the afternoon of this Monday, in Luque, Paraguay, there was a hearing. The leaders of Santos were present at the headquarters of the Conmebol. The president, José Carlos Peres, the legal manager and a group of six lawyers from the white and black entity traveled to extend their defense to three judges: Amarilis Belisario from Venezuela, Cristóbal Valdes from Chile and Eduardo Gross Brown from Paraguay. Those of Santos are angry with Independiente because they believe that they were aware of this in Avellaneda before and "They did not play fair" by not telling them.
The meeting, which started a little before noon, was extended by six o'clock, with a short break in between. It almost finished at 18 in Paraguay. While she slid him Horn Conmebol sources, the Brazilian group presented no new evidence. He insisted on the failure of the system called Comet, the software that registers the sanction state for athletes. There, as reported by Santos, the status of Sanchez's suspension is listed as "closed," meaning that the punishment had already been cleared.
The leadership of Santos was in a questioning tone for the Conmebol. And he requested to make the verdict official after Tuesday's game for safety reasons. From Conmebol, they listened to this newspaper, listening attentively to the assertion of the men of Santos. And they will take more time to publicize the verdict that would give him the first leg-match (scoreless) to Independiente with 3-0. But that will not be after the Pacaembú game.
Everything seems to be part of political issues. Because Conmebol does not want to be as everything was defined before Santos was listened to and therefore time stretched. The ruling would finally come out the morning of this Tuesday and would be favorable for the Red, as said.
Saint Paul Special envoy.