The police opened water cannons, fireworks flew: at right and left demonstrations in Chemnitz several people were injured. Apparently the police were on the ground with too little power.
After the death of a 35-year-old in Chemnitz, violent demonstrations took place during rallies of right-wing and left-wing demonstrators in the city. At least two people were injured. There is no information about the severity of the injuries. According to the police, four participants of the right-wing citizen movement Pro Chemnitz were injured later on departure.
Fireworks and objects were thrown during the demonstrations, according to the police. The vote was aggressive, the participants said. Both rallies were only separated by a road with several lanes.
The demonstrations were attended by several thousand people. The right-wing populist movement "Pro Chemnitz" called for a demonstration for the Karl Marx monument. It is estimated that more than 2,000 people have participated, and the MDR has even reported more than 5,000 protesters. A few meters from the meeting, the Chemnitz Nazifrei alliance had pleaded for a counter-demonstration against right-wing extremist violence, the number of participants estimated at more than 1,000.
The police tried to separate the events. A hood was also observed. Apparently there were repeated attempts to break the chain of civil servants, the police had, among other things, brought up the water cannon.
Police spokesman: "Too little staff"
After the two demonstrations were dissolved, a police spokesman confessed a lack of personnel in his own ranks. It was calculated with a few hundred participants and prepared accordingly, but not with such a number of participants, he said at the request of the news agency dpa. "The mission was not without problems." Police chief Sonja Penzel had assured that sufficient powers had been requested in the course of the afternoon. It was not allowed to allow Khazians to seize the city, she said.
Three ads for attacks on foreigners
The occasion was violent riots at the weekend on the edge of the city festival in Chemnitz. Here a 35-year-old German was killed by knife wounds, two other people suffered severe injuries. A 23-year-old Syrian and a 22-year-old Iraqi man were arrested for manslaughter. The bloody act became the trigger for xenophobic riots in the city. Video's on the internet show that migrants have apparently been attacked.
As the chemnitz police announced today, there are three allegations of attacks on foreigners during these riots. On Sunday, a 15-year-old German and her 17-year-old Afghan companion were attacked by unidentified persons and slightly injured. Later an 18-year-old Syrian was defeated. In addition, a 30-year-old Bulgarian was held and threatened by a stranger.
Police chief Sonja Penzel called on the population to provide further images of the deadly attack or subsequent riots to the investigative authorities.
Kretschmer: right-wing humor "disgusting"
Many politicians had condemned Sunday's events. Steffen Seibert said before the federal government spokesman: "We do not accept so much riot, murder of people of different appearance, of different origins, or the attempt to spread hatred in the streets." In Germany there is no room for self-defense and for "groups that want to spread hatred on the streets, for intolerance and for extremism".
Even the prime minister of Saxony, Michael Kretschmer (CDU), condemned the uprisings on Sunday. "It is disgusting how right-wing extremists on the internet make people feel like they have violence," he wrote on Twitter. "We do not allow the image of our country to be damaged by the chaotic." Minister of the Interior Wöller spoke about a "new dimension of the escalation" during a visit to Chemnitz. There were speculations, false reports and outright lies on the net, he said.