"He was my father and I love him very much," says the accused murder

Victim Gerard Fortune
Victim Gerard Fortune

A man accused of murdering his father said gardaí: "He was my father and I love him very much, I would have done everything for him."

David Fortune (31) gave the answer when he was accused of killing his father Gerard Fortune (63), who was stabbed in his house in Dublin on Sunday evening.

He was in pre-trial detention for a week when he appeared in Dublin court yesterday afternoon.

David Fortune, also known as David O'Leary, is accused of murdering his father, a nurse in the hospital, at their home in Rutland Grove, Crumlin, Dublin on August 19.

Garda brigadier Brendan O & # 39; Halloran told judge Mary Dorgan that he arrested the defendant at Crumlin garda station with the goal yesterday at 12:52 pm & # 39; charged to the murder of Gerard Fortune & # 39; to be accused.

pissed off

The accused did not answer when he was warned that he was not obliged to say anything.

At 1.55 am he was indicted in the presence of Sgt O & # 39; Halloran and he handed over a copy of the specifications.

In answer to the accusation he said: "I never intended to hurt anyone, he was my father and I love him very much, I would have done everything for him."

Sgt O & # 39; Halloran said that the accused used both surnames.

Defense lawyer Brian Coveney said, given the nature of the accusation, he did not request bail on behalf of his client. Bail can only be granted in the High Court for an assassination attempt.

He agreed that the accused would be held in custody for a week.

Judge Dorgan granted free legal aid after Mr Coveney filed an application and handed a statement on the financial means of the accused to the judge.

The accused did not work and there was no objection from Garda against legal aid.

She has taken Mr Fortune into pre-trial detention to appear in Cloverhill Court on Tuesday, August 28.

The accused, dressed in a red Adidas T-shirt, gray tracksuit pants and black runners, did not speak to the court during the short hearing.


He seemed visibly distressed when he went through the proceedings and gestured to crying relatives in the public gallery as he left the court.

Gardaí and emergency services were called to the house around 8 pm on Sunday.

Gerard Fortune had sustained a stab wound and was taken to the St. James Hospital by ambulance, where he was soon declared dead.

Irish Independent

Source link

Leave a Reply