The Palestinian man argues for justice after the death of the woman when stoning roads

Aisha Rabi had prepared to celebrate the marriage of one of her eight children. She had spent days arranging the logistics for the wedding and buying supplies for it.

But the 47-year-old mother's preparations for her child's marriage ended abruptly on Friday when a rock as big as a large tissue box flew through the windshield of the car that drove her husband Yakoub Rabi and killed her.

"Aisha, my daughter Rama and I drove back from Hebron last Friday," said Yakoub, 52, in a brightly lit hall in the middle of Biddya, a village on the northwest bank of the West Bank. "Suddenly a huge three-pound stone came through the windshield and hit Aisha's head.After talking to doctors through the phone, I drove to a nearby health clinic in Hawara, but by the time I arrived, they die. & # 39;

Receive the Times of Israel & # 39; s Daily Edition by e-mail and never miss our top stories

Sign up for free

On Sunday, Yakoub patiently welcomed dozens of male mourners and guests in the hall, from & # 39; m to & # 39; late at night, because they expressed their sympathy with the loss of his wife.

Yakoub Rabi welcomes mourners in a hall in the middle of Biddya, a village on the northwestern shore of the city, on October 14, 2018. (Adam Rasgon / Times of Israel)

The mourners and guests including the Palestinian Authority Prime Minister Rami Hamdallah and Fatah Vice President Mahmoud Aloul sat next to Yakoub and together they drank coffee and ate dates, a custom often observed in Palestinian places of mourning.

Female mourners and guests were in the nearby house of Yaqoub and Aisha.

The incident took place on Route 60, one of the most important north-south arteries used by both Israelis and Palestinians and running across the West Bank, south of Tapuah Junction, an area known as a hub for right-wing extremists. It is likely that the attack was carried out by colonists, but the authorities did not release the results of their investigation into the incident and there were no announcements of arrests.

The Shin Bet security service confirmed on Saturday that it and the nationalist crime unit of the Judea and Samaria (West Bank) district of the police investigated the murder, which remains under a toggle order until Tuesday.

Yakoub, who speaks Hebrew and has worked in Israel since the beginning of the eighties, said he had no doubt that settlers had hurled the rock that killed his wife.

"The rock came from a higher area on the right side of the road next to the settlement, which is not near a Palestinian village," he said, referring to the Rehelim settlement just south of the Tapuah Junction.

"Even after it was thrown, I heard someone say two words in a Hebrew accent, but I could not discern what was being said, I'm sure colonists killed her."

The Palestinian wears the body of the 47-year-old mother of eight, Aisha Rabi, who died of her wounds after the car she was traveling with her husband was struck by stones during her funeral in the village of Biddya in the West Bank. , in October 13, 2018. (JAAFAR ASHTIYEH / AFP)

Yakoub said he went back Friday night to where the rock hit his car with Israeli intelligence officers and told what had happened.

A spokesperson for the Samaria Regional Council did not respond to a request for comment on Yakoub's accusation that settlers threw the rock.

Yakoub said he hoped the Israeli authorities would take action to achieve "justice" for his family.

When asked what he meant by "righteousness," he said Israel should arrest "those who threw and arrested the stone," and added, "It is important that happens, so that others know that there is a price. must be paid. "

On Sunday, PA President Mahmoud Abbas offered his condolences to Yakoub during a telephone conversation and told him that it is unacceptable what happened to Aisha "to do without punishment," according to the official news website of the PA Wafa.

Abbas also declared Aisha a "martyr of the martyrs of our people who sacrificed their blood for the homeland," according to the Wafa report.

Yakoub said that in the past two days he also received phone calls from many of his Jewish colleagues in Israel.

Aisha Rabi (Courtesy)

Rama, Yakoub, and Aisha's 8-year-old daughter who was sitting in the back of the car when the rock came through the windshield, has been struggling to tackle the aftermath of her mother's death, Mutasem, a relative said.

"I was at her mother's grave today," he said. "She sat there and cried," I want my mother. "She is in a terrible psychological state."

Yakoub also said that he was not sure how he would now be able to care for all his children whose age is between 8 and 28.

"Aisha would always take care of our children if I were away at work," he said. "I do not know who is going to take care of our children now, especially the younger children."

On Saturday, thousands of mourners attended a funeral procession in Biddya for Aisha, who was wrapped in a Palestinian flag.

When the mourners marched through the center of the village and stopped the remains of Aisha, they cried: "There is no god but the God. The martyr is the beloved of God. & # 39;

On Sunday, the center of Biddya, a village known for the high number of inhabitants working in Israel and the nearby industrial zone Barkan and the settlement Ariel, was relatively quiet. (Monday a Palestinian man from Biddya tried to stab a soldier, according to the IDF)

The center of Biddya, a village on the northwestern shore, on October 14, 2018. (Adam Rasgon / Times of Israel)

Muhammed, a shop owner, said he hoped Aisha's death would not be for nothing.

"There is so much death and destruction every week," he said in Hebrew. "I hope that people not only experience their normal life after Aisha's death, but realize that enough is enough, and the violence must end."

Jacob Magid contributed to this article.

Source link