Due to the Corona pandemic that has engulfed the country, restrictions on travel and movement around the world, as well as social aloofness and a general lockdown, Epic Games canceled the 2020 edition of Fortnite World Cup esports in April.
The company has now made it clear that the Fortnite World Cup esports will not take place in 2021 either.
The company aims to resume global personal tournaments, but the priority at such events is the health and safety of players and employees.
Epic Games said in a blog: We do not plan to hold any personal events in 2021, including the Fortnite World Cup, as much is unknown about what is practical and safe.
She added: We will continue to offer online competitions in 2021 in the hope that the actual events will return at some point in the future.
The first – and so far only – Fortnite World Cup was held at New York’s Arthur Ashe Stadium, with the inaugural finals events from July 26-28.
The three-day event saw 16-year-old Kyle Giersdorf win the solo competition with a $ 3 million prize pool.
Undoubtedly, it was one of the most important esports competitions to date, with a $ 30 million prize pool and culminating in a massive $ 100 million investment in Epic Games’ competitive landscape.
The cancellation of personal events next year does not mean the end of the competitive landscape in Fortnite, as Epic Games has pledged to host several online tournaments to offset the cancellation of in-person events.
Epic Games says the Fortnite Champion Series will continue into 2021, with a focus on triathlon competitions, and we look forward to trying the new formats as well.
Added Epic Games: We are looking for other high-level competition opportunities for 2021, and regardless of the major competition, we are developing a schedule with more weekly tournaments, unique tournaments and Creator Cups over the next year .
Fortnite recently launched a new season after a massive live event featuring the fictional character Galactus.