KUALA LUMPUR: The two weeks that have been given to the consultant appointed to assess the contracts related to the Pan Borneo Highway are over and they have to return to the government to present their findings.
Minister of Labor, Baru Bian, said so far that he had not yet received information about the review, which had to look for ways to reduce the costs and scale of the construction of the motorway, in accordance with the government's efforts to to reduce expenses.
"They would come back (with the government) to suggest how they can reduce the costs and the scope of the motorway.
"(But) you have to ask the Ministry of Finance about this, although I understand that the two weeks are over, so they have to return to the ministry," he told reporters after the launch of the "Purchasing as part of good governance in New report and seminar in Malaysia, here today.
Baru had said on August 3 that the federal government would appoint an independent consulting firm to revise the multi-billion ringgit Pan Borneo Highway contracts for both Sabah and Sarawak because of the limited financial resources of the government.
He had said that the adviser would present his vision after two weeks after their appointment.
Meanwhile Baru said that his ministry still has to discuss the 2019 budget, which is expected to be submitted by Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad in November.
As to whether the ministry is planning to revise the toll rates next year or whether it is proposing the issue in the next budget, Baru said: "I do not want to make early decisions, we have to wait."