MP SPEAKS | It is like a breath of fresh air about the sharp subject of the 1MDB corruption and money laundering scandal. Not only does someone repeat what I have tried to say, with regard to the strange and extraordinary relationship between former Prime Minister Najib Razak and Penang playboy billionaire Jho Low, but someone from the Umno leadership does that!
Yesterday Umno Vice President Mohamed Khaled Nordin said that Najib and his family should do so volunteer all information they have about the fugitive entrepreneur Low Taek Jho, so that they can erase their name that is smeared with allegations concerning the 1MDB scandal.
In a statement, Khaled said it was the "responsibility" of the former prime minister and his family to do so.
"I firmly believe that the efforts to seek truth and justice in the 1MDB scandal are provided by Najib and his family, and if they know or possess any information about Jho Low, it will of course be their responsibility. to share that with the local authorities.
"It is not only the right thing to do, it will even help to clear the name and image of him and his family who have been affected by the scandal."
Khaled said that this was mainly because the conquest of the financier could finally put an end to the endless series of the 1MDB scandal, which dominated the national agenda.
It is unfortunate that Khaled did not make such a statement two years ago. But it is better late than never.
Would a full investigation into the 1MDB scandal scold Najib from any crime or misconduct of corruption and money laundering, and show that Jho Low was not his crime partner in the "kleptocracy at his worst" 1MDB scandal?
If so, why was Najib such an obstacle to a full, independent and comprehensive investigation into the 1MDB scandal when he was prime minister, to the extent that the doctrine of separation of powers was undermined and parliament and the judiciary were co-opted to help and his conspiracy to suppress investigations into the 1MDB corruption scandal that have undermined the police, the Malaysian anti-corruption committee, the office of the company auditor and Bank Negara to commit this crime?
Is Khaled right when he says that if Najib and his family would release their information about Jho Low, it will erase their name "smeared with accusations regarding the 1MDB scandal" or the reverse will take place with all allegations about Najib regarding relation to 1MDB will be revealed as the truth?
High time to get clean
Khaled is right, however, that the time has passed more than for Najib to tell the truth about the 1MDB scandal and his real relationship with Jho Low, because the 1MDB scandal is a bigger problem that affects not only Nadjib and his family, but also one that has dominated the national agenda.
The 14th Parliament ended its first meeting with a motion in which the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) was directed to conduct a detailed investigation into the misappropriation of funds and 1MDB and the related companies to the dignity of the Dewan Rakyat and all related to restore information to be made public.
I have repeatedly asked Najib to state that he would testify and fully cooperate in the new PAC investigation into his role in the 1MDB scandal, which caused Malaysia robbery, shame and injustice. Will he do that?
In August 2016, I asked Najib why he had not "conducted the conversation" to prove that he was a patriot by defending himself as prime minister, the government and the nation of the US Department of Justice allegations about his role in the 1MDB scandal.
Is Najib aware that Umno veterans, led by the Umno Veterans Club secretary Mustapha Yaakub, prior to the 14th general election, had stated that it was betrayal to defend Jho Low, who had caused Malaysia to be scourged worldwide global kleptocracy and that a healthy Umno leader never support Jho Low, let alone love the man?
With Khaled's call, it's time for Najib to respond to my various calls over the past two years to inform him of his unique relationship with Jho Low, namely:
- Who made use of who in the 1MDB "gold mine" – Najib or Jho Low; Or was the 1MDB "gold mine" a joint operation of both?
- How often did Najib Jho Low meet, where and when, between the 13th and 14th general elections and did Najib meet with Jho Low when he was prime minister during official visits to China? What did they discuss during their meetings?
- Has Najib read the 251-page US Department of Justice about 1MDB-linked assets that describe in detail how Jho Low had purchased the luxurious superyacht with billions of slipped-down power with eclipsed 1MDB funds?
- Was the failure of the Najib government to make a formal request to the Hong Kong government to arrest Jho Low for the same reason that it did not halt the 1MDB scandal in all four phases of 2009 – 2014 because the very beginning was a conspiracy by Jho Low and "Malaysian Official 1" (MO1) – who is no less than Prime Minister Najib – to fraudulently deduct billions of dollars from 1MDB through various means, including cheating foreign banks and sending foreign wire connections to promote the plan and then to launder the proceeds of that criminal behavior, including in and through US financial institutions "?
- Najib has read the 10 "killer spades" in US DOJ's suit to lose 1MDB assets that borrowed the RM2.6 billion donation from Najib directly to 1MDB and revealed that the RM144 million pink diamond necklace for "wife of MO1" came from stolen 1MDB funds?
It is not just Najib who has to clean up on Jho Low. All the top government leaders who had jumped to the defense of Jho Low as if they were Jho Low's courtiers instead of top officials of an independent and sovereign state, should learn why they had acted with so much action before to defend Jho Low's defenders. and apologists, who not only commit a serious dereliction of duty, but also betray the interests of the nation.
LIMKIT SIANG is Iskandar Puteri MP.
The opinions expressed here are those of the author / employee and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Malaysiakini.