KUALA LUMPUR: An indictment filed by former minister in the department of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdul Rahman Dahlan against PKR Vice President Rafizi Ramli about the exhibition Ekspo Negaraku 2017 has been settled after the latter has apologized to the court.
Abdul Rahman's lawyer, Datuk M. Reza Hassan, told Judge Mohd Zaki Abdul Wahab of the Supreme Court that the lawsuit has been settled and both parties have signed the design of consent judgment.
Reza said that one of the conditions agreed by the parties was to read the declaration of apology in court.
However, Abdul Rahman and Rafizi were not present in court on Monday (September 3).
Rafizi's lawyer Abdul Halim Abdul Karim read the apology in an open court.
Justice Mohd Zaki then ordered Rafizi to pay RM20,000 in costs.
Abdul Rahman filed the case against Rafizi because he claimed he had awarded a contract to his own "brother".
In the lawsuit filed on January 30, Abdul Rahman claimed that Rafizi's statement, made at a press conference last year, had been made in bad faith to defame his reputation.
Abdul Rahman also claimed that Rafizi had later admitted that his claim was incorrect, but had refused to apologize.
At a press conference on 11 December 2017, Rafizi claimed that the contract for the exhibition Expo Negaraku 2017 of the Economic Planning Unit (EPU) had been awarded to "Raslan", which he said was the brother of Abdul Rahman.
Abdul Rahman was then the minister in charge of the EPU.
On the same day, Abdul Rahman held a press conference to refute the claim of Rafizi.
Present at the Abdul Rahman press conference was Nor Raslan Mohd Dahlan, the chief executive officer of Pico Integrated Exhibit (M) Sdn Bhd.