Selangor police chief Macau Scams syndicate responsible for RM6.3mil losses – Nation



SHAH ALAM: Three Macau Scam syndicates responsible for RM6.3 million of losses were arrested after several attacks in Petaling Jaya, Seri Kembangan and Subang Jaya.

Selangor police chief Comm Datuk Mazlan Mansor said that 48 suspects have been arrested, including 46 nationals from China.

Selangor's police chief said the first raid took place in a luxury condominium at Petaling Jaya on August 3, where 23 Chinese nationals were detained.

"We used 80 mobile phones, 20 laptops and various scripts in Mandarin.

"The syndicate members acted as call center operators and used the scripts to fool the victims," ​​he told a press conference at the headquarters of the state police on Monday (August 20).

Each syndicate member was coached monthly and paid approximately RM3,000, he added.

The second robbery was carried out on a premise in Seri Kembangan on 7 August, where another 23 nationals of China were detained and used similar scripts in Mandarin, Comm Mazlan said.

"The third and final robbery resulted in the arrest of a Malaysian man and a Taiwanese citizen in Subang Jaya, using six mobile phones, 36 ATM cards and 73 SIM cards used by the syndicate," he said.

Comm Mazlan said that the busting of the three cases resulted in 18 cases resolved, with losses up to RM6.3mil.

"Macau Scam is very worrying, no matter how often we warn the public not to be fooled, things are still happening.

"Again, we hope that the public can be more vigilant and can not be easily misled by this scam," he said.

As of August 17, 523 cases have been reported this year, with RM29mil of losses.

"Last year, it had 1,350 cases with RM49.4 million losses, and we believe the total losses this year could outpace last year's figure," he said.

Most victims were older than 51 years (176) this year, followed by people between 31 and 40 (126), Comm Mazlan said.


Source link

Leave a Reply