They were 48 to seek the succession of FC Sevilla in October, winner last August, they will be more than half this Thursday evening at the end of the final meetings of the 2020 group stage of the UEFA Europa League,
The program of the evening
group A. : Young Boys – CFR Cluj (6:55 PM), CSKA Sofia – Rome (6:55 PM)
Group B. : Dundalk – Arsenal (6:55 PM), Rapid Vienne – Molde (6:55 PM)
Group C. : Leverkusen – Slavia Prague (6:55 PM), Hapoel Beer-Sheva – Nice (6:55 PM)
Group D. : Standard Liège – Benfica (6:55 PM), Lech Poznań – Rangers (6:55 PM)
Group E. : PSV Eindhoven – Omonoia (6:55 PM), PAOK – Grenade (6:55 PM)
Group F. : Napoli – Real Sociedad (6:55 PM), Rijeka – AZ Alkmaar (6:55 PM)
Group G. : Braga – Zorya Luhansk (9 pm), Leicester – AEK Athens (9 pm)
Group H. : Celtic – LOSC Lille (9 p.m.), Sparta Prague – AC Milan (9 p.m.)
Group I. : Villarreal – Qarabağ (9 PM), Maccabi Tel-Aviv – Sivasspor (9 PM)
Group J : Tottenham – Royal Antwerp (9 p.m.), Ludogorets – LASK (9 p.m.)
Group K. : Dinamo Zagreb – CSKA Moscow (9 pm), Wolfsberg – Feyenoord (9 pm)
Group L. : Hoffenheim – Le Gantoise (9 pm), Slovan Liberec – Crvena zvezda (9 pm)
In star: Naples – Real Sociedad
Despite the ten points on the clock, Naples is not immune in Group F. After Thursday’s 1-1 draw in Alkmaar and with the unexpected 2-2 at home for Real against Rijeka, a club that was already eliminated, the two clubs meet at the San Paolo stadium both enter the door in favor of AZ. Dries Mertens for the Italians and David Silva for the Spaniards, the two stars of these clubs, will have to roll up their sleeves. Consult the ranking of Group F.
Team of the year 2020, vote
Napoli took a 1-0 win at San Sebastián in the first meeting between the two teams, but Real boss Imanol Alguacil is confident. “My team can beat any opponent and we are going to Italy to win,” he said. “If we play against them as well as with Anoeta in the first leg, I am sure we can do it. His Italian counterpart Gennaro Gattuso knows that his men were mediocre against AZ: “It was not a great performance, we made a lot of mistakes”. The margin is now small.
And the French …
• Thursday evening, after the home defeat against Bayer Leverkusen, synonymous with elimination, the coach of Nice Patrick Vieira was removed from his position. The 1998 world champion will therefore not travel with the Aiglons in Israel to take on Hapoel Beer-Sheva. Nice had won in the first leg against this club that also has nothing to hope for from this last performance.
• Guaranteed to attend Monday’s draw for the round of 16, Little ends his group stage in the field of Celtic (eliminated) with a desire to keep first place in his group. To do this, we must avoid scoring two points less than Milan, which plays at Sparta Prague.
The cleaver will fall …
Throughout Europe, this Thursday evening is dominated by the seal of tension and emotion given the number of teams that still have something to play. Rapid Vienna – Molde or Wolfsberg – Feyenoord looks like 32it is final for example.
… maybe the records
• Already secured first place in group K, the Dinamo Zagreb host a disabled CSKA Moscow and could become the first club to reach a UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League group stage without conceding a goal. A similar performance was achieved by Steaua Bucureşti, Middlesbrough (both in 2005/06) and Metalist Kharkiv (2008/09), but the groups only had four playing days.
• Arsenal can match Tottenham’s record by winning all six of their group matches in 2012. The Gunners are on their way to Dundalk. Irish champions La Gantoise and Ludogorets, on the other hand, are approaching this last day after five defeats.
• Side scorers, if he has recorded time in his last two games, the Lille Yusuf Yazici is still in the lead with six performances. Author of two triplets away in the same European season, he has already achieved an unprecedented achievement in the history of European football. His Turkish teammate and fellow countryman Burak Yilmaz scored twice on matchday 5, can he afford another treble on the way to Glasgow?