National party leader Simon Bridges says he is "very worried" about the health of an anonymous person who is texting him about the leakage of his travel expenses – and says the police know who sent the message.
Bridges said he received the "dark and disturbing" text message on Thursday and it was also sent to speaker Trevor Mallard and a media organization.
"The text made it clear to me that it was from the leaker … [and that] the leaker was in the national caucus, "Bridges told the media this morning.
"It also made it very clear that this person had a long and serious mental health issue.
"I was very clear that there would be considerable damage to them if the investigation were to continue, it was a dark and disturbing text.
"I was very worried, I spoke with older colleagues and replied, and said that my greatest concern was for the well-being of the person.
"Later that day I received expert advice on how to proceed.
"On Friday, I informed the police with a clear concern for the health and well-being of the indivudal.
"On Sunday evening the police contacted me, they knew and worked out the identity of the person involved and made it clear that the person was getting help they needed."
Bridges says he does not know the identity of the person who sent the text.
He says he has not questioned members of his cabinet.
Senior MPs Amy Adams, Mark Mitchell, Gerry Brownlee and Todd McClay are in Wellington to support Bridges.
Bridges and Speaker of Parliament Trevor Mallard received an anonymous SMS message last week from a person who claims to be responsible for leaking the information to Newshub, RNZ reported.
It is clear that a conference call with the caucus was held this morning.
The author of the text reportedly said that they had leaked the expenses because they disagreed with Bridges' leadership style, describing him as & # 39; arrogant & # 39 ;, and wanted him to be kept for his spending of taxpayers' money.
The author of the text warned that in the past they had suffered from psychological problems and said that being public could overpower them and endanger their lives.
The appeal came after Mallard had initiated an investigation into who had leaked the expenses and promised to name and shame the responsible person.
Sources say the text was extensive and was sent from a disposable phone.
It is clear that the police have also become involved and that the National Council of Experts in the field of mental health is seeking advice on how to deal with the text.
Mallard said it Herald This morning he will not comment on anything related to the incident or investigation until the frame of reference has been drawn up: "end of the story".
Newstalk ZB political editor Barry Soper told Mike Hosking Breakfast that he understands that it is not a member of parliament.
"It can be anyone with a burner phone," Soper said.
"For me it's a storm in a teacup.
"Some national MPs are on their way to Wellington today, but not for a spill, it is a show of support for Bridges when he addresses the media this morning.
"It was a rather detailed text but, as I understand it at this stage, it is not a National MP – but we'll wait."
RNZ said it had not seen the text, which is believed to have detailed a number of conversations and pieces of information from national caucus meetings over a period of weeks in an effort to prove that the author was a national MP.
Mallard has appointed former Advocate General Michael Heron QC to investigate the leak, showing that Bridges spent $ 113,000 on travel expenses and Crown-limo costs over a three-month period.
When he announced the investigation, Mallard said he believed someone had deliberately undermined the system and that the safety of the MPs was important.
"Unless they have incredible expertise they will be identified," he said.
Mallard believed that the survey was a good use of taxpayers' money.
"Members of Parliament will not be able to do their work properly."