Lower Hutt resident arrested, accused of stabbing several times from another woman 1 NEWS NOW



The most "dangerous road in New Zealand" has been left out of the government's $ 16.9 billion land transport program, residents of Tauranga say.

On Friday, the government announced an investment of 16.9 billion dollars in land transport over the next three years, but the work on State Highway 2 between Waihī and Tauranga was not included in the priority list.

A third of the money goes to Auckland.
Source: 1 NEWS


Founder of the lobby group Tauranga Fix the Bloody Road, Andrew Hollis, said the local population was frustrated that the road north of the city had no priority in the government's long-term transport plan.

"When it comes to safety, surely the most dangerous road in New Zealand would first be sorted out and this stretch away from the Wairoa bridge to Katikati is arguably the most dangerous road in New Zealand," said Hollis.

The government plan puts $ 665 million aside for the Bay of Plenty, with half reserved for road maintenance. However, no major work is planned for State Highway 2 between Tauranga and Katikati.

Rijksweg 2 receives financing for safety improvements & # 39 ;, with the emphasis on preventing front-on and run-off crashes that are expected to start immediately. It is unclear how much is spent on these improvements.

Mr. Hollis said the community was constantly living on edge alive near the dangerous part of State Highway 2.

"One of the things when there is a fatal victim is that people's phones suddenly go crazy to try to find out who's involved and whether it's someone we know," he said. "Every time there is just fear and anxiety.

"Anyone who lives near the Te Puna or Omokoroa sirens has a weird, cold feeling and shivers every time the siren goes off and the moment he goes off every day."

Mr. Hollis said that most of the work to expand the highway to four lanes with median barriers had already been completed.

"It is almost paid, the land is bought, all roads are in order, the geo-tech work is done, they were just about to condense the marshes in February when the minister stopped the project.

"It is literally just delicate to seal the ground and set up concrete barriers.

"It's been finished for ten years – we do not care what government it's going to do, we just want it to be finished."

Ken Shirley, chief executive of the Road Road lobby group, the Road Transport Forum, said it was disappointing that the transport program had put state road projects on the shelf.

The government announced $ 3.5 billion for new highway projects from Puhoi to Warkworth, Transmission Gully, Mt Messenger bypass, the replacement of the Manawatu Gorge, the Waikato Expressway and the Christchurch Southern Motorway.

However, Mr. Shirley said that projects such as the East-West connection in Auckland and from Tauranga to Katikati in the Bay of Plenty were urgent and should have been included.

"If you drive through the country, there are the four-lane roads from Auckland to Whangarei, the east-west connection in Auckland was the highest priority now just outside the radar." Otaki north of Levin, which is on the guard Christchurch to Ashburton, including the new Rakaia bridge, it looks like everything is on hold, "he said.

"The Tauranga to Katikati, a very dangerous road, one of the roads with the highest rising volume of the country and armed with minor adjustments to it, the mustard will not cut down – the earlier proposal for a considerable highway is required there."

Mr. Shirley said that the government's promise to pledge road safety was a good sign, but the biggest improvements in road safety would be investing in new highways.

"The greatest safety gains actually come from the major investment projects on the highway – the roads of national significance – they have produced a spectacular improvement in safety and it is precisely the projects that are now being postponed."

Brett Hudson, spokesperson for the national alliance, stated that the government's policy was "total of the map."

"Road users from across the country will pay out-of-pocket for trams along Dominion Rd in Auckland.

"The government has confirmed that the $ 5 billion will be removed from the State Road Improvement Fund and that this is actually very short, the Kiwis is changing along the 11,000 km road network of the state across the country."

Hudson said safety improvements along freeways & # 39; improvised & # 39; lay.

"The government claims to be focused on safety, but if they really talk about it, they would be building more of those well-built roads, not just looking at some improvised changes," he said.

– By Emma Hatton

rnz.co.nz


Source link

Leave a Reply