The biggest remedy applies to defaults and working conditions and is close to NOK 6.2 million, says Forsvarsbygg in a press release. In addition, the Defense Building imposes a fine of nearly NOK 310,000 on the Sandefjord contractor for breach of apprenticeship requirements.
Planning and real estate manager Carl Oscar Pedersen in Forsvarsbygg tells NRK that he thinks this is a sad thing.
– As a public developer, we have a clear responsibility to contribute to a working life where there is zero tolerance with regard to wages and working conditions. We must therefore impose sanctions if such conditions are revealed. The Defense Buildings Department is responsible for the follow-up of affected homeowners, says the Planning and Property Manager.
Looks seriously at the findings
Byggmester Strand AS has received four assignments for the implementation of sound insulation measures in neighboring homes at the Ørland Air Station in Trøndelag. The findings are related to the last assignment.
In a press release Forsvarsbygg writes that they are very serious about the findings of the builder and the subcontractors Strand Bemanning AS and Strand Drift Midt AS.
Based on the findings of the contract being terminated, Forsvarsbygg warns that they will also follow up the contracts related to the three previous contracts.
Do not accept the sanction
Byggmester Strand AS replies through his lawyer Jørgen Aardalsbakke on Thursday evening, declaring that the company will not accept the penalty offered by Forsvarsbygg.
Byggmester Strand AS believes that the termination of the contract is unjustified and seems to be designed because the contract work was transferred to Forsvarsbygg for a week or so, the lawyer explains.
– Together with the management of Byggmester Strand AS we will provide documentation that demonstrates that there are no violations as the Defense Building claims, writes Ardalsbakke in an email to NRK.
– Can Byggmester Strand ALS document that you have met salary and employment conditions, requirements for skilled professionals and requirements for students?
– Byggmester Strand AS has handled the contract and the applicable regulations and has provided documentation for the terms and conditions arising from the contract and the lawyer answers.
Think they have documentation
Aardalsbakke explains that they have submitted documentation to the Norwegian forces on employment contracts and pay conditions. In addition, they have provided both documentation and information about skilled workers and students.
– The Norwegian forces have requested additional documentation. Parts of it have already been submitted, while it took time to obtain documentation for people from other countries, Aardalsbakke writes.
He believes that the criticism from the Norwegian Defense Building is unjustified.
– Instead of continuing the dialogue on this documentation, Forsvarsbygg chose instead to cancel the contract. This seems very surprising, especially given that the contract work was taken over by Forsvarsbygg a week ago, the lawyer writes on behalf of the contractor.