By Roy Mabasa
The foreign office on Monday called on Filipino's overseas to prevent unverified information being posted on social media.
The call came after a social media message with a Filipina home care worker in Bahrain who supposedly was subjected to genital mutilation by her employer, went viral but later turned out not to be true.
"While we appreciate the concerns of our kababayan abroad about this particular case, we also have to be cautious about placing something of this nature on social media without first verifying its veracity," the Foreign Office said in a statement. statement.
The DFA regretted, in particular, the placement on social media of a video with the visibly distraught Filipina.
However, Ambassador to Manama Alfonso Ver said that the woman was already in the Philippines when the post went viral.
The foreign office contacted the victim and was taken to the hospital for medical examination.
"Doctors said that during the investigation, the victim had no indication of genital mutilation," Ver said in his report to the home office.
The envoy revealed that the victim's medical examination revealed signs of physical abuse and post-traumatic stress disorder.
He assured himself that the DFA will provide the medical care of the victim who remains in a non-disclosed hospital.
Later it turned out that the victim was underpaid by her employer. Ver said the OFW only received BD90.00 instead of the agreed BD150.00.
Ver also said that the embassy had already contacted officials of the regulatory authority for labor markets in Bahrain, who promised to cooperate with the investigation.
Ver said that the embassy will take appropriate steps to address the other concerns of the victim.