Mayor with medicines from Duterte works in hiding



SLAY PLOT A witness shows how armed men attacked the van Vicente Loot's van during an assassination attempt in May. -TONEE DESPOJO / CEBU DAILY NEWS

CEBU CITY – Mayor Vicente Loot, from the city of Daanbantayan in the northern province of Cebu, has made himself scarce by the continuing threats of his life in connection with President Rodrigo Duterte calling him a protector against drugs.

But a stepson, Cebu board member Sun Shimura, said that Loot continued to fulfill his duties from a secret place.

The booty has now been low for at least three months. Attempts by media to interview him by telephone were also pointless.

No appearance

"Mayor has not been to public places and is no longer staying at home because he does not want anything bad to happen to his family and other people in his neighborhood," Shimura said.

Shimura added that Loot was busy with paperwork in an unspecified place.

The mayor sends representatives to activities and meetings in the municipality.

Shimura said that Loot and his family felt unsafe after Mr. Duterte Loot had repeatedly connected with the drug trade.

Loot, a retired police general, feared that the Tagalog-speaking men who were looking for him were sent to Daanbantayan to kill him, Shimura said.

Due process?

"I have not seen my stepfather personally for a few months," Shimura said.

"We just talk on the phone or via a video call," he added.

The board member appealed to Mr. Duterte to give his stepfather the chance to prove his innocence by ordering an investigation into the mayor.

"The president is a lawyer and a former prosecutor," Shimura said.

"I hope he will give my stepfather fair trial," he said.

"We have many research agencies and it would be good if an investigation is conducted instead of threatening it only in public," he added.

"We are worried that other people are abusing the situation and killing my stepfather," he said.

On his visit to Cebu City on Tuesday, President Loot again exclaimed in his speech, saying that the former police general wasted human money spent on his training at the Philippine military academy by becoming a drug protector.

Survivor

"You've been ambushed a number of times and yet you survived, you're really strong, do not threaten me," said Mr. Duterte in a blasphemous outburst.

Shimura said it seemed as if Loot would not have the chance to prove that the president was wrong because there had been no investigation.

"We have asked for an investigation and we are open to everything," Shimura said.

"We are even prepared to sign a waiver for our bank accounts so that the public knows that we do not have unjustified assets," he said.

clearance

In November 2016, Loot stated that he was being investigated by the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group after he was publicly identified as a drug coder by the president.

He said he was told that he had already been acquitted on three aspects: drug connections, non-implementation of the anti-drug campaign in his municipality and unexplained riches.

Yet Mr. Duterte continued to link him to illegal drugs.

Loot said earlier that he believed that intelligence reports given to the president were made to destroy him politically.

But he said the accusation was "too much" and hurt his four children aged 34, 27, 26 and 24.

One of the attacks on Loot where Mr. Duterte could refer to it took place on May 13, when unidentified men shot on the boat that Loot and his family were carrying while docking at the harbor in the village of Maya, Daanbantayan.

Two drivers, a nanny of Loot & # 39; s grandchildren and a doorman standing near the dock were injured.

While he said he did not want to speculate, Loot said the attack might have to do with Mr Duterte's tirade against him.

Do not miss the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to access The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download from 4 hours and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.


Source link

Leave a Reply