MANILA, Philippines – Refusal to bow to public shouts, the Metro Manila Council (MMC) decided Friday, August 24, not to suspend the car bans only along EDSA during rush hour.
The MMC met on Friday to discuss their decision on the ban after Senate leaders issued a resolution calling on the traffic control authorities to immediately suspend the measure & # 39 ;.
The MMC agreed to continue with the dry run until further notice.
Mayor Herbert Bautista of Quezon said that the cities MMDA and Metro Manila, notably San Juan, Pasig, Mandaluyong, Makati and Taguig, will conduct a dry run investigation to see how the measure will relieve traffic in the capital.
"We agreed that we will continue to study [the measure]. We are awaiting the findings of San Juan, Pasig, Mandaluyong, Makati and Taguig and MMDA, "said Bautista in a mix of English and Filipino.
"We will also continue our dialogue with both houses and then meet us [Malacañang] to present our findings, "he added.
Although the measure is based on the execution of the dry run, MMDA General Manager Jojo Garcia said that the public should exercise car pooling, even though fines are not yet implemented.
"We really have to do something and we encourage people to practice carpooling." Our local officials said that traffic congestion has become heavier in the inner streets, so we repeat the need for car pooling, "said Garcia.
Upon full implementation, offenders can get a fine of P1,000.
MMC is composed of the mayors of Metro Manila and is the board of directors and policy-making body of the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA).
The MMDA previously suspended the assumed full implementation of the car-restricting ban on the driver.
On August 7, the MMC approved the ban to reduce traffic congestion in the capital.
In 2017 there were 367,738 vehicles that exported EDSA daily, 60% to 70% being vehicles with one load. MMDA claims that the policy will reduce total vehicles in EDSA by 40% during rush hours. – Rappler.com