No break in the restoration of the booty of Marcos, closure for victims of martial law – Palace
(philstar.com) – August 22, 2018 – 9:07 PM
MANILA, PHILIPPINES – The efforts to close the victims of martial law would continue, said Malacañang Wednesday, after Ilocos Norte Gov. Imee Marcos asked critics of her family why they can not go any further.
President spokesman Harry Roque said that the Duterte government is "willing to work with all groups on behalf of the people".
"Efforts to regain any illegal wealth will continue through the presidential committee for a good government, and victims of human rights will also receive compensation through the Claims Board of Claims for human rights victims," Roque said in a statement.
"The government will continue to find ways and means to put an end to all victims of abuses that occurred during that period of martial law," he added.
Roque said that President Rodrigo Duterte, a political ally of the Marcoses, has opened the doors of his government to all, regardless of kinship and ideology, "to unite the country and bring us more progress."
Critics accuse Duterte of rehabilitating & # 39; of the image of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos, who in 1972 declared martial law to refute the threats of communists. Approximately 70,000 people were detained, 34,000 were tortured, more than 3,000 were killed and 8,000 were missing during the martial law period, according to human rights group Amnesty International.
Marcos loyalists, however, claim that the Marcos era was a period of peace and prosperity, and even called it the golden age of & # 39; from the Philippines. Academics have challenged the claims of Marcos supporters and rejected them as "deceitful nostalgia for a past that never really existed."
In a press conference last Tuesday, the daughter of Marcos, Imee, said that people of her age had to continue because the millennials had already gone on. – Alexis Romero