The opposition coalition has finally completed its senatorial slate for the May 2019 interim elections, according to a statement by the Oposisyon Koalisyon on Tuesday, a day before the submission of the application certificates ends.
Completing the list of eight candidates was Florin Hilbay, Advocate General on the board of President Benigno Aquino III, and veteran election lawyer Romulo Macalintal, lead counsel of Vice President Leni Robredo in the electoral protest filed by former Senator Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr.
Below are the other candidates in the slate:
- former Sen Manuel "Mar" Roxas II, who also served in the Aquino as head of the Ministry of the Interior and Local Government and then Department of Transport and Communications
- Magdalo partylist Rep. Gary Alejano
- Sen. Paulo Benigno "Bam" Aquino IV
- Jose Manuel "Chel" Diokno, dean of the De La Salle University College of Law
- Samira Gutoc, a former member of the Bangsamoro Transition Commission
- former home deputy speaker Lorenzo "Erin" Tañada
According to the statement, the final list was the result of a long evaluation and consultation process by the Office of Vice President and the opposition coalition consisting of the Liberal Party (LP), Akbayan, Magdalo, Aksyon Demokratiko, Tindig Pilipinas, and other cause-oriented groups.
The coalition has been meeting since the beginning of this year to publish a list of opposition candidates for the 2019 polls, it added. /ATM
Click here for more election stories.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to access The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download from 4 hours and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.
Contact us for feedback, complaints or questions.