- Szczerski spoke about the importance of John McCain's law for Poland
- As he argued, the adoption of this amendment means that in the event of the deployment of American troops in Poland, the decision was made
- Other topics of the Duda-Trump talks are issues related to the diversification of gas supplies and US investments in Poland
The presidential minister, who came to Washington for mourning ceremonies after the death of Senator John McCain, during a conversation with Polish media correspondents, explained that the expected subject of the White House meeting scheduled for September 18 relates to issues of " US military presence in Poland and the development of this presence in various forms. "
John McCain Act
Mr. Szczerski spoke about the significance Congress had adopted last month as part of the John McCain National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) request that the head of the defense department must agree to, no later than March 1, 2019, the report in which the "feasibility and legitimacy of permanent deployment in the Republic of Poland of the armed forces of the United States" is being evaluated. Referring to unnamed members of the Congress, Szczerski said that accepting this amendment in the opinion of his interlocutors "means that the decision in this case has already been taken".
– I can tell you that I recently spoke to representatives of Congress in the presidential palace, just about this law, which told me that if this amendment has been adopted (…) and if it says that the feasibility study must be completed in the spring, that is, that the decision has already been taken (…) Therefore, the study gets the assignment to have a basis for such a decision – he said. At the same time, he pointed out that "it is too early today to announce the nature and type of this expansion of the US military presence in Poland, because it is just too early, it requires political talks to shape this larger American presence in Poland. the direction is clear. "
Gas and investments
The second expected topic of discussion between the two presidents mentioned by Szczerski will be "energy issues, including diversification of the Polish gas supply market, delivery of American gas, also in the regional context, via the Tri-City."
Among the third group of issues that are potential subjects for President Andrzej Duda's talks during his state visit to the White House, the head of the cabinet of the President of the Republic of Poland has noted US investments in Poland.
– We want to obtain US investments for Poland and our region, because it is no secret that an agreement is signed during the Troika Summit, which precedes the meeting of Polish and US Presidents, to start the creation of the Dricycle Fund, ie the opportunity to raise funds for the development of regional infrastructure and Polish – said Szczerski. The minister of the president said that President Duda spoke about the possibility of raising capital during his recent visit to Australia for the development of the infrastructure of the Tricity countries.
As announced by the White House, US President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania will accept President Andrzej Duda along with his wife Agata Kornhauser-Duda in the White House on August 18. This will be President Duda's first official visit to the White House.