When the president of Warsaw, deputy head of the Civic Platform, in “Fakty po Faktach” on TVN24 was asked if the issue of abortion could divide the PO or the Civic Coalition more widely, as the former leader consistently reiterates that the PO is in favor of a PiS broke abortion compromise, he replied, that this compromise was buried by Kaczyński’s party and that there is no return to that solution.
Trzaskowski: I have a very different opinion from Grzegorz Schetyna
– There is no compromise. This pseudo-compromise was buried by PiS. The most important now are women’s rights and women’s right to make decisions. However, the PO does not have a 100% position on this issue as the discussion is ongoing. I am surprised that Grzegorz Schetyna is speaking on behalf of the whole party, because I have a very different opinion from Grzegorz Schetyna. A difference of opinion is acceptable in any party as broad as the Civic Platform – ed. I believe that the abortion law should be liberalized and it is necessary to talk about it and that the decision on this matter should be in the hands of the woman – said Trzaskowski.
The PO deputy also referred to the second part of the question, which concerned the attitude of some party members who, on the one hand, sympathize with the protesters on the street and, on the other, perceive radicals in them for fear of becoming their hostages. As a result, they have a problem with which they don’t like to admit it in public.
“The most important thing is to fight the shameful verdict of the Constitutional Tribunal”
According to Trzaskowski, it is much more important at this point to address the Constitutional Tribunal’s ruling, which practically deprives women of the right to legal abortion.
– What’s most important today is the fight against the shameful statement that Kaczyński tried to push through the pseudo-TK. It can never come into effect, because that would mean absolute hell for women. And we have to start with that. Then we will all think together, both in the PO and in parliament, how to tackle this problem, what decisions should ultimately be made with the citizens, because without this discussion we certainly will not be able to do it, Rafa³a Trzaskowski said.
The so-called abortion compromise and CT ruling
The Family Planning, Human Fetus Protection and Termination Conditions Act of 1993 allowed abortion in three cases:
- when pregnancy threatens the life or health of a pregnant woman
- if pregnancy is the result of a criminal offense
- and when prenatal testing or other medical indications indicate a high risk of serious and irreversible fetal disturbance or incurable life-threatening disease
In fact, almost all abortion procedures in Poland took place because of the third premise, which is irreversible harm to the fetus. We are talking about 1,074 procedures with 1,110 abortions (almost 97%!), Which, according to official statistics, took place in 2019.
In October, the Constitutional Tribunal on the 1993 law ruled that termination of pregnancy for irreversible fetal defects was unconstitutional.