Traffic between municipalities on the continental territory is prohibited between Friday 11 pm and Wednesday 5 am, with 10 exceptions to the measure envisaged in the state of emergency, enacted as a result of the covid-19 pandemic.
According to the government decree regulating the implementation of the new state of emergency, which came into force on Tuesday, it is prohibited to circulate outside the residential municipality between November 27 11 pm and 5 pm December 2 “except for health reasons or other urgent reasons”.
The ban will apply again between 11:00 PM on December 4 and 11:59 PM on December 8.
The decree provides for 10 exceptions to the movement ban between municipalities on the Portuguese mainland, namely:
– trips to exercise professional functions with a declaration from the employer or the employer, in the case of self-employed and sole proprietorships.
– health workers and employees of health and social care institutions, teachers and non-teaching staff of schools, civil protection agents, security forces, the military and Food and Economic Security Authority (ASAE) inspectors do not require a declaration from the employer to circulate .
– the holders of sovereign organs, leaders of the social partners and political parties represented in the Assembly of the Republic and “persons with free transit issued under legal conditions” can also circulate between municipalities, as well as ministers of worship, staff of diplomatic missions and consulates and international organizations based in Portugal.
– Travel to school institutions, day centers, to participate in procedural acts and to attend public services is also allowed, provided they have proof of their timetable.
– the travel required to “leave mainland Portugal” and “non-resident citizens to places of proven residence” can also be carried out, such as “travel for other compelling family reasons, namely to fulfill shared parental responsibility”.
– “back home” is also allowed.
The government announced measures on Saturday to contain the covid-19 pandemic ahead of the new state of emergency, which will be in effect between 12:00 AM on Tuesday, November 24, and 11:59 PM on December 8.
In the 127 counties classified as ‘extremely high’ risk (with more than 960 cases of infection per 100 thousand inhabitants in the past 14 days) and ‘very high’ risk (with more than 480 cases per 100 thousand inhabitants), mandatory curfew between 11 PM and 5 AM on weekdays and between 1 PM and 5 AM on weekends and public holidays from December 1 to 8.
On the eve of the holidays, the commercial establishments in these 127 provinces are closed from 3 p.m.
In the 86 high-risk countries, there is also a curfew between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. seven days a week.
There are no classes on the eve of the holidays and the civil service has a point tolerance. The government called on the private sector to also lay off workers during these two days.