SINGAPORE – A 28-year-old woman got a horrible shock when she dined by Ma Maison in the Westgate department of Tonkatsu on Sunday (September 16) when a wall tile fell and missed her.
Ms. Teng X.T., a bank clerk, finished a meal with her friend in the informal Japanese eatery around 5 p.m. that day, when the large, rectangular wall tile fell.
She was only inches away from where it struck. She took photos & # 39; s and video ?? s after the incident and sent them to the website for citizen journalism Stomp.
Going through the pictures and the description of Ms Teng, the tile seemed to be as big as a food tray.
Ms. Teng told The Straits Times: "I was playing with my phone when suddenly I heard something fall next to me.
"The sound was so loud that I could not hear anything in my right ear for a while."
She was alone at the table when the tile fell, while her friend received the bill for the meal.
Mrs. Teng is in a state of shock and leaves the table only after several clients have approached her to help.
Tonkatsu by Ma Maison said in a statement that it was "deeply sorry" for the incident and that it "inspected the entire exhaust to ensure that there were no more loose tiles and to close the affected area until the problem was fully resolved by our contractor ".
The exhaust said it removed all tiles and replaced them with paint for Tuesday.
Ms. Teng said that the management apologized and offered her and her friend an exemption from the cost of the meal that they accepted.
She added that she was not upset by the staff and management of Tonkatsu by Ma Maison.
"I do not blame them, I do not think this happens a lot, so they probably do not know how to deal with the situation."
Shouted the narrow escape, Mrs. Teng said, "I was so lucky, there was not even a scar on me, one of the really sharp tiles fell right on my plate. If I were closer to the wall, it would have been dangerous. . "