Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp wants a £ 40m solution to a problem position at Anfield, while West Ham approaches a new defender – all in the latest Euro Paper Talk.
KLOPP WANT NUNO MENDES
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has asked his superiors to pay Nuno Mendes’ € 45 million (£ 40 million) release clause and bring the left back to Anfield, according to a report.
Despite his youth, the 18-year-old has become an essential part of the Sporting team.
Indeed, he only made his Liga NOS debut towards the end of last season, but he already played in all of his team’s league games this season.
Recent reports suggest that Liverpool and Leicester are keen to bring the left back to the Premier League.
According to Don BalonHowever, Klopp made his interest in the player personal by asking his superiors to pay for Mendes’ release clause.
Klopp reportedly believes Mendes would be a ‘great’ addition down the left flank. As such, the Reds will reportedly ‘try to get ahead’ of the other sides in the race.
Indeed, while Leicester is said to be a ‘major stakeholder’, Real Madrid scouts have sent glowing messages about the player.
Previous speculation suggested that Diogo Jota could be vital in the event of a possible transfer. Jota, who is a fellow countryman of Portuguese star Mendes, has had a stunning impact since he signed with Wolves in September.
Klopp’s request for Mendes is reportedly because he is losing faith in one of his recent purchases. Left behind Kostas Tsimikas arrived in August as Andy Robertson’s replacement for Olympiacos, but suffers from an injury.
As such, Don Balon claims the Greek international has so far not won Klopp’s confidence.
Tsimikas sustained a thigh injury in September and played just 159 minutes of football this season, a statistic the source said is the reason for Klopp’s distrust.
The 24-year-old is likely to play next Wednesday when Liverpool play against Midtjylland in a Champions League dead rubber match.
AND THE REST OF EURO PAPER TALK
West Ham will probably have to close a deal with Silkeborg IF for Frederik Alves before January 1. But it is ‘expected’ that the player will move to the London Stadium (Ekstra Bladet)
Valencia president Anil Murthy laments sale of Ferran Torres to Manchester City amid explosive form (Sport)
Meanwhile, City is about to sign promising winger Dario Sarmiento of Estudiantes (Fabrizio Romano)
In addition, City has moved closer to tying Kevin De Bruyne to a new contract (Fabrizio Romano)
Leicester will have a second chance in January to sign Real Betis midfielder William Carvalho (La Razon)
MEXICO COACH POSITIVE ABOUT JIMENEZ
Mexico head coach Gerardo Martino says he is “very positive” about Raul Jimenez’s recovery (TUDN)
Paris Saint-Germain forward Neymar has shown that he wants to play with Lionel Messi again (ESPN)
But Barcelona presidential candidate Joan Laporta says he has not spoken to Messi about an extension (Catalunya Radio)
Laporta, however, could be crucial if Barcelona is to sign Erling Haaland. He has an excellent relationship with the agent, Mino Raiola (Fabrizio Romano)
But Manchester United would have to pay extra if they want to pursue a deal for Haaaland (Sports world)
Aston Villa is now unlikely to move for Werder Bremen forward Milot Rashica after injury (Kicker)
Fabinho says he was always willing to step into a center-back for Liverpool (Interactive sport)
LIVERPOOL, ARSENAL TARGET ASENSIO
Liverpool and Arsenal are ready to put € 60 million on the table to sign Real Madrid Marco Asensio (Don Balon)
Atletico Madrid could enter the race for Arkadiusz Milik with Tottenham and Everton in January (AS)
A group of players at Madrid thinks the club should replace Zinedine Zidane as manager (Cadena Cope)
Juventus defender Leonardo Bonucci thinks his team is now “on the right track” after their lack of preparation (Sky Sport Italia)