At least 18 people died in a fire that broke out on Saturday morning in a hotel in northeastern China. According to local media, the fire broke out at 4.30 am local time at a four-storey hotel in Cha-er-pin, informs the DPA.
More than a hundred firefighters took about four hours to extinguish the flame. The cause of the fire was not immediately known.
Cha-er-pin (Charbin) is the metropolis of Chej-lungi province, which borders on Russia and North Korea. The hotel is a thermal spa, according to Sinchua.
The incident is another example of a series of tragic events that have plagued China in recent times, despite the authorities' efforts to improve public security. The ruling Communist Party of China is trying to improve fire safety after various fires of hotels, shopping centers and residential blocks.
Last November, a fire in the residential block in Pekin claimed 19 people. In 2010, the flames that hit a high-rise home in Shanghai were 58 people. The authorities then reported the cause of the accident of the spark coming from the welding equipment.