YouTube bout earns millions because boxing keeps distance
Video blogger Logan Paul has regularly made controversies, because in 2012 he came to the fore on the social media platform of Vine
A boxing match between YouTube celebrities Logan Paul and KSI have frightened aficionados of noble art, but made the two protagonists laugh all the way to the couch.
More than 15,000 fans came to the Manchester Arena in Great Britain on Saturday to see how it was to see Paul and KSI, real name Olatunji Olajide, climb into the ring for a six-round match.
A further 773,000 fans would each have paid $ 10 to watch a stream on YouTube, numbers that make it likely that Paul and KSI earn millions of a fight that ended in a & # 39; majority draw & # 39; for KSI.
With another 1.2 million fans who have estimated the match on illegal streams, a rematch between the two men, who have 37 million YouTube subscribers between them, is a matter of when, not as.
The interest in the show comes exclusively from Paul and KSI's outsized, and often repulsive, internet characters.
Paul, a video blogger, has regularly made controversies since he appeared prominently on Vine's social media platform in 2012.
In December he caused indignation after uploading video to his YouTube channel with the corpse of a young man at a notorious suicide in Japan.
Later he placed an apology and promised $ 1 million to charities for suicide prevention.
KSI has in the meantime repeatedly criticized his online career for his attitude towards women, who was accused of downplaying rape and showing a woman-unfriendly attitude in video interviews.
Paul and KSI saw the commercial potential of a boxing match after KSI's fellow British YouTube personality Joe Weller fought in London in February, with about 1.6 million viewers online.
– & # 39; Joke, shambles, ridiculous & # 39; –
But although there seems to be a clear demand for internet personalities to see each other in the ropes, the traditional boxing world so far keeps its distance from the niche market.
The British Boxing Board of Control refused to approve Saturday's attack, noting that neither Paul nor KSI had a license to fight.
WBO Interim featherweight champion Carl Frampton regretted in the meantime the fact that the Paul-KSI attack WBO super bantamweight champion Isaac Dogboe's title defense against the Japanese Hidenori Otake in Arizona had overshadowed.
"@IsaacDogboe made a successful first defense of his super cool title with a 1st round demolition of the tough and tough Otake last night", Frampton wrote on Twitter.
"A real champion who went on a world tour before he got his chance, but today people would rather talk about a few YouTube dickheads."
Veteran British boxing journalist Steve Bunce rated the Paul-KSI event as "a joke, a mess, a ridiculous fact, & # 39;
"They are not boxers and they are not even bad impersonations of boxers," said Bunce.
Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn said that the Paul-KSI fight turned into his stomach, even though he had a grudge against the hype surrounding the game.
"For me I can not stand it, it makes my skin creep, but as a company I think it's brilliant," Hearn told thaboxingvoice.com.
"As a fighting fan and pure boxer I can not stand it, but as a business model and a commercial project I take my hat off."
Hearn, who manages world heavyweight Anthony Joshua, said neither Paul nor KSI had any chance to fight as professionals.
"That is not the interest," he said. "The interest is not KSI in a six-rounder against a hunter, the interest is KSI against Logan Paul, that's what sells.
"They could not go to a certain level as a pro, that's a fact."
Sorry, we currently do not accept comments on this article.