Home / uk / Dad gets an emergency operation for horror wound after spider bit him while he slept

Dad gets an emergency operation for horror wound after spider bit him while he slept

A father-of-one was forced to undergo surgery after he bit a spider on his finger while he slept. Note: this article contains graphic images.

Paul Carson woke up in the middle of the night when he felt something was on his finger.

Although he had a stabbing and itchy sensation, he didn't think about it anymore until the pain in his hand intensified over the next few days.

Paul, from Fazakerley, initially visited a walk-in center that prescribed an antibiotic cure. But when this had no effect, he presented himself to the emergency and emergency department of the Aintree hospital.

Paul, 45, who was visually impaired, said: "I had noticed that my finger looked red, but only when I went to A & E did it turn out that I had made the correct diagnosis that I was bitten by a spider because there were two flat tires were marks.

"They said that I should immediately get an IV because the redness struck my hand."

Although he was discharged with an increased dose of tablets, the pain and swelling continued to increase.

Paul said: "Everyone thought it was as if I had been destroyed by a dog.

Surgeons had to operate on the hand of Paul Carson at Aintree Hospital after he was bitten by the spider

"When I returned to the hospital, I was again placed on an antibiotic drip and this time they told me that I was around because they had to operate.

"I thought: this is terrible, what's wrong?"

Paul Carson needed surgery after being bitten by the spider while sleeping in his home in Fazakerley

"I was taken to the theater and put under local anesthesia and seven bags of pus dried out of the wound."

It is thought that the bite could have been made by a false widow spider, similar to a black widow spider.

Paul said he thought the spider might have come home, either from an open window or from a package for an online clothing order that had come from China and that he had opened on his bed.

He said: "Afterwards I was afraid that the spider might still be in my house, so I called a pest control company to disinfect the property.

The spider bite led to painful swelling in the affected area

"The finger is now healed for 75%, but I have to go to physiotherapy because I can't make a fist or hold my hand.

"I am still paranoid and I get pest control again to disinfect the house.

"I'm afraid to think what would have happened if my two-year-old daughter had been bitten."

How dangerous is a bite of a false widow spider?

A simple spider bite did this against Paul Carson's finger

According to the Natural History Museum, the noble false widow is mentioned most often and is the largest of the three most common types. It reaches a body height between 8.5 and 11 millimeters.

The noble false widow was first registered in the United Kingdom in the 1870s – probably a stowaway on cargo ships from his hometown of Madeira and the Canary Islands.

But it is only since the 1980s that the species has gained a foothold in this country.

Although false widows have a poisonous bite, the poison is not particularly powerful and does not have the serious consequences that can occur with black widow spiders.

read more

Top news stories

Source link