Diego Maradona was released from a hospital in Buenos Aires on Wednesday, just over a week after brain surgery, and will continue his recovery in a private home.
Images from local TV stations showed the former World Cup winner leaving the Olivos clinic in an ambulance. Maradona’s doctor, Leopoldo Luque, told reporters that he had authorized the release.
Maradona’s lawyer, Matias Morla, said the 60-year-old Argentinian will continue to receive treatment for alcohol addiction. He is expected to stay in a house close to his older daughters.
The 1986 World Cup champion underwent emergency surgery last week for a subdural hematoma, an accumulation of blood between a membrane and his brain.
Maradona’s personal physician, neurologist Leopoldo Luque, said on Tuesday that even small amounts of alcohol consumption can have negative effects when combined with the medications needed for his recovery.
The former Boca Juniors, Barcelona and Napoli star has had addiction issues in the past.
Morla said the surgery may have been Maradona’s worst moment ever.
“It could have cost his life,” said the lawyer. “What he misses now is his family’s association surrounded by health workers.”
Morla also called on friends and relatives of the former footballer to stop posting negative messages about each other on social media, saying the infighting hits the Argentine legend.
“The situation here is clear: be at peace with family members,” said Morla. “They must respect each other, coordinate the visits, because in this case Diego must recover. He must be given peace and unity.”
Maradona was initially admitted to another clinic in La Plata with signs of depression, anemia and dehydration, before being moved to Olivos when the subdural hematoma was discovered.
Dr. Luque said an accident likely caused the subdural hematoma, but Maradona did not recall falls or accidents.
Maradona felt ill on October 30 while coaching first division Gimnasia y Esgrima. He left before the end of the first half and raised questions about his health.