The Shoko festival of 2018 will be organized from September 28thth to the 30th From September and this year there will be an announcement of what Shoko Hub Awards calls. The prize winners in 4 of the categories will compete for "$ 4,000 in prizes and advanced odds." The prize will be awarded to ideas that use new media and civic-tech to solve problems in their community or on a national scale.
In case you are wondering, civic technology is any use of technology to empower citizens or make the government more accessible and effective.
To qualify for the Hub Awards, your solution must fall into one of the following categories:
- WOMEN RISING AWARD – A prize awarded to a startup / organization that advocates women's rights and votes using new media and technology.
- SPREAD TRUTH TO POWER AWARD – A prize for a new media solution & platform to promote accountability and dialogue (with local authorities, city council, local government and government)
- YOUR VOICE PRICE – A prize for the best upcoming individual blog, video blog or citizen journalism platform.
- FIX UP, LOOK SHARP AWARD – A prize for the best new media / technical solution to address poor service delivery in communities.
To actually qualify for the awards, you must meet a number of conditions:
- Participants can be individuals or teams
- Participants may only submit one idea
- Participants must be residents of Zimbabwe
- Participants must be between 16 and 35 years old
- Participants must be prepared to participate in the The Hub Awards Pitch competition at Shoko 2018
- Must complete the application
- The decision of the judges is final
Now that what you need is clear, Shoko Fest needs you to register and you can do this here.