Among all the things that Google stores for us, there are also our WhatsApp data that have recently seen a policy change. All your chats – which also contain heavy multimedia files – no longer take up space in your Google Drive. This means that all your chat messages, photos & videos on WhatsApp with your Google Drive will be synced with a Google account, but will be saved without using the limited 15 GB of Google Drive space you get.
However, since there is always a risk of privacy and data theft, your data is never completely secure if it is stored in the cloud. Follow these steps to remove WhatsApp data from your Google Drive:
1. Go to the Google Drive website (https://drive.google.com) on your desktop and sign in to your Google Account
2. If you are using this URL via your smartphone, tap in the top left corner and select the "Desktop version"
3. Click the gear icon in the upper right corner
4. Open Settings and search for Manage apps
5. Scroll down to find WhatsApp
6. Wait until the size of the "Hidden app data" appears under the WhatsApp Messenger
7. Click Options and then tap Delete hidden app data
8. The Drive confirms once for the last time you say: "xGB hidden app data from WhatsApp Messenger will be removed from Drive. Tap Delete to confirm.